Senior IT Specialist International NGO Jobs – Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI)
Organisation: Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: CIT Manager
Vacancy Code: SITX01
The Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is an international non-profit organization which is a partnership of infectious diseases and public health specialists. The overall objective of the IDI is to strengthen health systems with strong emphasis on Infectious Diseases, through Research and Capacity Development. IDI has five operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research and Laboratory services (provided through a partnership with the Makerere University – John Hopkins University Core Lab) and Outreach.
Job Summary: The Senior IT Specialist is responsible for the design, implementation and operation of the ICT Infrastructure at all the Infectious Diseases Institute Ltd. Offices, as assigned by the IT Manager, Information Services department. The rob holder shall take responsibility for monitoring, maintaining and troubleshooting IDI’s rapidly expanding technology infrastructure which includes Servers, Networks and Storage systems. He/she must be a diverse individual, with superb technical competency, delivering mission critical infrastructure and ensuring the highest levels of availability, performance and security. .
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and monitor all installed systems and infrastructure includes both virtual and physical.
- Manage and monitor storage and backup systems
- Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools
- Proactively certify the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
- Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers and database administrator to implement those fixes
- Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies
- Write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on any tasks
- Participate in the design of information and operational support systems
- Provide 3rd level support
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
- Meet with relevant users to identity requirements for new infrastructure components, e.g. computing devices, additional data points etc.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, related computing discipline.
- Technical certifications include; DCDC (Data Center Design), CCNA (not mandatory but preferred), MCSE server 2012/LPIC-II, SAN and Database administration
- At least five years of demonstrated experience in a similar role with solid background in IT infrastructure operations, computer network administration and service delivery.
- Leadership experience with the ability to mentor and guide other junior technical staff and successfully manage the team work in the IT environment.
- Proven working experience in installing, configuring and troubleshooting Windows or UNIX/Linux based environments.
- Solid experience in the administration and performance tuning of windows servers, and NetApp storage
- Solid Cloud experience, preferably in MS Office 365 and Azure storage
- Experience with virtualization and containerization (e.g., VMware, Virtual Box, Hyper-V)
- Experience with monitoring systems
- Experience with automation software (e.g., Puppet, engine, Chef)
- Solid scripting skills (e.g., shell scripts, Perl, Ruby, Python)
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should E-mail their updated CVs, which should include details of email address (if any), present position, current remuneration, Certificate/testimonials and address of three (3) Referees plus telephone contact to the following address. Please make sure that your application letter , CV and certificates are attached as one document and indicate the Vacancy code as the subject for your email
The Senior Human Resource Manager,
Infectious Diseases Institute — IDI Knowledge Centre,
Makerere University Main Campus College of Health Sciences, Makerere University,
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 31st May 2019