Job Title: Senior Engineer (2 Job Placements)
Duty Station: Kansanga, Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Engineering Manager
Start date: May, 2021 (suggested)
SolarNow sells and installs high quality European standards solar energy solutions in Uganda and Kenya. We offer our solutions to residential, commercial, industrial & agricultural customers with warranty, installation and service. Since 2011, SolarNow has been on a mission to lead the sustainable energy market by offering quality products and services at affordable prices through client focused & committed professionals.
Our team consists of amazing, passionate professionals committed to transforming the lives of others through solar energy. We take care of our staff who, in turn, take care of our clients and the company. We pride ourselves on doing the right thing, walking in our clients’ shoes, Being Passionate and having fun.
About the market:
More than 500m USD addressable market is to be found in Kenya and Uganda, among private, government and international aid entities that could benefit from solar power.
In these countries, where grid connection is unreliable and expensive, or gensets are considered a good alternative, there is huge potential to use solar power instead to provide economic and financial benefits to those entities. However, awareness of these options and the willingness to invest in them is still scarce.
Job Summary: SolarNow is hiring an Engineer who will be responsible for ensuring a financially sustainable SolarNow and creating a portfolio of happy corporate clients by focusing on design, project management, installation and service of a wide range of solar solutions. You are someone who cares deeply about improving livelihoods in Africa, but you bring more than passion to the role: you have the grit and resilience to make change happen. You are excited about developing large and impactful solar projects across East Africa
You have a successful track record in delivering projects from the business development stage to final commissioning. You are a dynamic problem-solver who has strong empathy and passion for solar power and the people you work with. You are the person who represents the client in the organisation but are at the same time the number one advocate of the product and value proposition. You are curious and do not fear to challenge the status quo, but are sensitive in how to communicate this. You build strong and effective bridges within the organisation to achieve real results. You are not afraid to fail and see it as an opportunity to learn!
You bring with you the skills and behaviour that is needed to tackle a smart, knowledgeable, critical market that is used to dealing with larger numbers and sees things through an economic lens. You stand your ground and do not give up when faced with hardship and pushback, because you know that in the end you will make a positive impact on this planet.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Ensure revenue growth through ever increasing client satisfaction by:
- Design: you design the right custom solar solutions for clients of all types (commercial, industrial, institutional) following international best practices and local solar standards.
- Networking: you build lasting relationships with clients and leverage your network to discover new business development opportunities.
- Branches: you work with SolarNow sales branches across the country to support their clients to ensure quality across our entire company
- Sourcing: you work with the sourcing team to ensure the best products are found, at the best price.
- Installation: you plan all aspects of the installation and work across multiple teams to ensure delivery. You travel on-site to support installation staff and keep clients updated on progress at all times.
- Service: you support the client when there is any technical problem, protecting the relationship.
- Admin: You attend client meetings, manage project budgets and submit a wide variety of client paperwork such as tender documents, project schedules etc.
- Inspiration: you are an inspirational team member exemplifying the SolarNow Culture. You work with junior staff to pass on your knowledge and delegate work where possible.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Background: At least a bachelors’ degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Experience: At least 5 years’ experience in (>10kWp) solar technical work
- Personality: Structured/organized team-player with an intense focus on problem solving and technical excellence. Extreme attention to detail on electrical design work and product sourcing.
- Skills: Advanced solar system design experience preferred (HOMER, PVSYST etc), spreadsheet skills mandatory. History of managing complex projects above $50,000 USD.
- Culture: Reliability and integrity, good time management, fun-loving, passionate about solar.
Compensation and benefits: Salary and benefits are competitive, commensurate with experience. SolarNow will review applications based on a first come first serve basis and might close the vacancy ahead of schedule should a suitable candidate have been found.
How to Apply:
All candidates should Email their applications with the following subject: Application for Senior Engineer – “Your Name” to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 30th May 2021.