How do job seekers use social media?
Africa Markets Sustainability Lead at diageo, market capitalization diageo, market planner diageo, jobs at diageo, nafasi za kazi diageo, ajira diageo,market screener diageo, diageo tanzania, diageo careers, diageo tanzania jobs, diageo tanzania salaries
Job Description :
Job Title: Africa Markets Sustainability Lead
Reports To: Head of Sustainability – Beer & Africa
Location: Various Diageo Africa Sites – EABL (Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania), Ethiopia, Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon and South Africa.
As the home of iconic brands such as Baileys, Guinness, Smirnoff, and Johnnie Walker, at Diageo we source, produce and deliver 6.5 billion litres of world-leading products every year across 180 markets globally. Because of this huge undertaking, we rely on highly advanced systems as well as the very best talent to make sure our businesses continue to run smoothly.
To give you some idea of the scale of our operation, over half of our 30,000 employees work in our supply chains. We have teams in over 100 sites across more than 30 countries, but what matters is that wherever you work, you’re part of a diverse, inclusive team where there are opportunities for everyone.
Whether you work in planning, logistics, technical teams or manufacturing, you’ll be part of an innovative, dynamic organization. We set ourselves the highest standards, and our practices have earned us international recognition.
And it’s people with energy, dedication and problem-solving skills who’ll help us get even better. In return, we offer a world of opportunities for you to explore, to shape and progress your career.
This role is positioned within the Global sustainability Team; the post holder will provide direction and guidance on sustainability issues for the Africa Markets, plus drive the environment agenda in line with our strategic goals.
This will be done by establishing ruthless focus on our current ways of working, driving improvements and best practice across the Africa Markets sites. By working closely with the Africa Governance and Utilities teams this person will be expected to build excellent working relationships with representatives, from each of the sites, Supply Chain Directors and Global teams.
The Africa Markets Sustainability Lead will be accountable for environment performance, regional compliance and alignment with Global Sustainability 2030 strategy across the Africa markets.
This includes, but is not limited to –
- Managing the creation and implementation of Africa Markets environmental roadmaps to deliver the 2030 targets across all pillars (i.e. carbon, energy, water, packaging, waste). Close integration with the Sustainability Program Managers.
- Providing technical direction and strategic support for technical, engineering & sustainability teams to deliver Africa Markets innovation opportunities, research programs and pilot studies to deliver the sustainability strategy.
- Agreeing KPI targets through engagement with the Africa Markets operations sites and global teams to drive required improvements.
- Communicating successes throughout the Africa Markets, plus proactive and responsive escalations for any issues.
- Reporting on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis on progress towards agreed targets, pilots and projects progress both locally and up to the Americas region and globally.
- Africa Markets Sustainability programs, forward looking Advocacy. Establish a work plan with key stakeholders in the different market organization structures (Environmental Manager, Procurement, Supply, Engineering, etc.) that drives the transformation priorities and embeds the improvement programs at a market and site level.
- Managing environment & sustainability engagement & communication through tiered meetings, steering groups and subject matter expert groups across the Africa Markets.
- Taking a lead role in driving the required environmental sustainability culture, including employee education and engagement.
- Active member of the Global Supply sustainability & governance communities.
- Ensuring new projects market level legislative compliance across the Africa Markets through proactive compliance leadership.
- Leading key initiatives and strategic improvement projects in partnership with sites and key stakeholders.
- Ensure implementation of market/regional sustainability programs to achieve impact reductions at set milestones (targets) across the different environmental focus areas (carbon, water, packaging, regenerative agriculture, circular economy, etc.). Manage key sustainability strategic projects implementations and project management activities where required.
- Support the market on securing the funding and developing the proper business cases.
- Support Regional Sustainability leads on the market Sustainability Capital Business Planning. Lead the development of a high-level efficiency and CAPEX sustainability roadmap for 2030 across each market. Align the road map and CAPEX plan with each site and maintain continuous updates.
- Share best practices. Identify and share global & market Environmental and Sustainability best practices on Distilleries, Breweries and Packaging sites.
- Customers and consumer insights, benchmark market for all sustainability focus areas (GHG, energy, water, packaging, etc.).
This role will have no direct budgetary responsibilities but will influence future spend within the Africa Markets in relation to environmental sustainability.
b) Market Complexity
Diageo produces brewed products and mainstreams spirits in fifteen operations locations across nine markets in Africa. Production sites in each market manufacture a portfolio of Global and Local brands and thirteen of these production sites are located in water stressed areas. Globally Diageo is an industry leader in terms of spirits production and supplies products across the globe including the nine markets across Africa.
It is important that the current business reduces its environmental impact, and expands in an environmentally sustainable manner, and the role requires an understanding of what this would mean for these sites, with c.4000 employees.
The role holder will need to be flexible in approach and build detailed legislative knowledge within the region working with global teams at strategic level.
As part of the Beer & Africa Markets Sustainability team, the role will work as part of this small team or alone and engage with local site management to influence, guide and support on sustainability issues.
The role will lead the Africa Markets environmental sustainability tiered reporting, providing clear direction and support across the region.
The Africa Markets Sustainability Lead will be accountable for delivering required performance and strategic interventions as the lead subject matter expert for the Africa Markets.
Purpose of Role
The purpose of this role is to develop and drive a sustainable business for the Africa Markets with emphasis on energy, carbon, water, waste, packaging & wider sustainability initiatives. Embedding the correct culture is key to the delivery of the above.
Develop and agree environmental KPIs at a site and market level aligned with the overall Africa strategy to deliver the 2030 strategic goals & future ambition.
Responsible for market sustainability targets, development of plans to meet those targets, and oversee their delivery. Report the Africa Markets environmental KPIs and provide insight on performance at a regional and global level. Coordinate Annual Environmental Survey rollout to sites and support external data assurance process.
Manage a program of environmental initiatives across the Africa Markets to ensure delivery of targets. Support the Beer category and Global Sustainability teams with the development of costed environmental roadmaps
Engage directly with technical & engineering teams to deliver innovation, R&D and pilot trials across the Africa Markets aligned to 2030 strategy. Analyse technology, resource needs, and market demand, to plan and assess the feasibility of projects in relation to site environmental targets and compliance.
Support Climate change risk management across the nine Africa markets and the flow of information to the GST Climate Risk Program Manager in two key areas.
- Market climate change risk assessment data collection.
- Integration of climate change risk mitigation & management into the overall risk management systems in each Africa Market.
Drive engagement for the implementation of best practices in the areas of environmental performance, standards, and capabilities. Promote and raise environmental awareness, at all levels of the impact of emerging environmental issues.
Provide support and expertise to sites on current and upcoming environmental legislation and regulatory changes.
Ensure engineering budgets, bids, and contracts include full environmental/sustainability impact assessments.
Ensure policies, standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work, and the purchase of materials or services includes environmental aspects/impacts.
Communicate the Africa Markets environmental performance internally to staff and externally to stakeholders as appropriate. Lead awareness and engagement activities to progress the Africa environmental agenda.
leader of Africa Markets environmental forum driving standardization of approach and sharing of best practice.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Graduate with 5 -10 years environmental experience in food or brewing/spirits industry preferred. In-depth knowledge of manufacturing operations, supply chains, engineering. At least 5 years’ experience in a process environment. Has delivered change programs in a production lead environment.
- Must have good understanding of scale & complexity of the business across the Africa Markets
- Excellent project management, program management, communication, and interpretation of complex environmental data and trends.
- Great engagement and communication skills, the experience of coaching and influencing a range of stakeholders for success.
- Must have good interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Must be approachable and able to provide clear and concise information.
- Strong facilitation, training and presentation skills.
- Good at networking to establish excellent relationships at all levels.
- A proven track record in managing people and or small teams, projects, and cross-functional team working.
- Environmental professional – or equivalent professional qualifications preferred.
- Overall, good knowledge of Environmental legislation and standards. Competency in Diageo environmental capability framework for Environmental sustainability, Carbon & Energy, Water and Wastewater, Solid waste and resource use, Specific aspects to air, land, and water, and site biodiversity.
- Competency in environmental capability framework for Sustainable agriculture, Packaging, Logistics, and customer, consumer brand sustainability.
- Fluid in written and verbal English language.
Celebrating our inclusive and diverse culture is core to Diageo’s purpose of “celebrating life every day everywhere”. This purpose is, in itself, inclusive in nature, as it values everybody irrespective of background, disability, religion, gender identity, sexuality or ethnicity.
We know that for our business to thrive and for Diageo to realize its ambition, we depend on having diverse talent with a range of backgrounds, skills and capabilities in each of the 180 countries in which we operate and to reflect our broad consumer base. We view diversity as one of the key enablers that helps our business to grow and our values, purpose and standards set the conditions for us to respect the unique contribution each person brings.
Flexibility is key to success in our business and many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, compressed hours, flexible location. Please talk to us about what flexibility means to you and don’t let anything stop you from applying.