Background: The Tanzania Coffee Research Institute (TaCRI), incorporated in 2000 as a company limited by guarantee under the Companies Ordinance (Cap. 212), became legally constituted and operational in September 2001 with the major objective of rejuvenating the Tanzania coffee industry to sustainable prosperity, placing new emphasis on stakeholder-led, demand-driven RESEARCH FOR DEVELOPMENT.
TaCRI is now seeking to employ dynamic, committed, responsible and self-motivated person to fill the following vacant posts for an initial period of three years renewable based on productivity/performance and continued need.
Plant Breeder (1 post)
Location: TaCRI, Lyamungu
Reports to: Programme Manager Coffee Research Improvements Programme
Roles and responsibilities:
Development, evaluation, and selection of superior crop varieties with improved productivity and low management costs. This involves the following tasks:
- To study existing cross-breeding and establish aspects for development.
- To ensure that improved coffee varieties are developed with combined attributes of high yielding, disease resistance, and excellent quality in terms of bean sizes and cup taste
- To study the existing germplasm for possible sources of progenitors to improve the existing ones; if not available source from outside germplasm or use of biotechnological approaches
- To carry out an appropriate strategy to combine the attributes to come out with superior coffee varieties.
- Required to have extensive knowledge in molecular technologies, statistics and genetics.
- To evaluate the resulting candidate varieties on diverse agro-ecological zones in collaboration with growers to identify the most adaptive varieties.
- To recommend for the official release of superior and adaptive varieties.
- To ensure that the existing coffee germplasm is well maintained To carry out proper variety characterization for official registration
- Routinely follow up field performance of released varieties to ensure their field performance and where necessary take appropriate measures (maintenance breeding).
Plant breeding skills
The Ideal candidate will need to have a strong understanding of Plant Breeding and genetics principles associated with seed production/multiplication of seedlings. Also, the candidate must be computer literate with outstanding communication skills.
Academic qualification; At least MSc in Crop Improvement/Plant Breeding with proven records of achievement.
Work Experience: At least a minimum of 2 years of work experience with relevance in Plant Breeding and/or agricultural research activities. Experience with the private sector and hands-on participatory approach and especially working with seed or seedling multiplication organization/coffee industry will be an added advantage.
Remuneration: TaCRI is an equal opportunity employer and offers attractive and competitive remuneration.
Mode of application:
- An application letter in your handwriting or typed
- Fully typed Curriculum vitae
- Certified copies of relevant certificates
- Full postal address including telephone contact details and e-mail address if any
- Three contactable references
Deadline of application:
All applications must reach the Chief Executive Director through the address below (not by email).
Chief Executive Director,
Tanzania Coffee Research Institute (TaCRI),
P.O. Box 3004,
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
The deadline for the applications is 09.11.2021