plant pathologist jobss, plant pathologist jobs, plant pathologist jobs in tanzania, plant pathologist jobs in moshi, tacri tanzania, ajira tacri, nafasi za kazi tacri, tacri jobs opportunity, tacri kilimanjaro
Background: The Tanzania Coffee Research Institute (TaCRI), incorporated in 2000 as a company limited by guarantee under the Companies Ordinance (Cap. 212), became legally constituted and operational in September 2001 with the major objective of rejuvenating the Tanzania coffee industry to sustainable prosperity, placing new emphasis on stakeholder-led, demand-driven RESEARCH FOR DEVELOPMENT.
TaCRI is now seeking to employ dynamic, committed, responsible and self-motivated person to fill the following vacant posts for an initial period of three years renewable based on productivity/performance and continued need.
Plant Pathologist (1 post)
Location: TaCRI, Lyamungu
Reports to: Programme Manager Coffee Research Improvements Programme.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Support Plant Breeding and provide information to stakeholders pending forecasting or real existence of coffee diseases for management of the pathogen.
- To support Plant Breeder in identifying coffee accessions with durable disease resistance to be used in crossing programme or to develop as a variety.
- To suggest appropriate techniques for screening of disease resistance for existing or emerging diseases.
- To perform application of inoculation for virus, bacteria, fungi, and other related pathogens to measure resistance of accessions or Koch’s postulates for identification of the pathogen.
- To study the epidemiology of a coffee pathogen and suggest appropriate control measures.
- To conduct Bio-assays with pathogens.
- To perform routine data collection from various research projects and entry into systems results for analysis using parametric or non-parametric statistical tools and draw inferences.
- To perform direct simple or complex laboratory work as a routine or special task.
- To lead a cross-functional team in innovating, developing, and enabling new phenotyping, diagnostic, and other assays for existing and new problems
Plant Pathology skills
The ideal candidate will need to have a strong understanding of Plant Pathology and pests in general applicable to coffee. Also, the candidate must be computer literate with outstanding communication skills.
Academic qualification; At least MSc in Crop Protection/Plant Pathology with proven records of achievement.
Work Experience: At least a minimum of TWO years of work experience with relevance in Plant Pathology and/or agricultural research activities. Experience with gains with the private sector and hands-on participatory approach and especially working with plant laboratories will be an added advantage.
Remuneration: TaCRI is an equal opportunity employer and offers attractive and competitive remuneration.
Mode of application:
- An application letter in your handwriting or typed
- Fully typed Curriculum vitae
- Certified copies of relevant certificates
- Full postal address including telephone contact details and e-mail address if any
- Three contactable references
Deadline of application:
All applications must reach the Chief Executive Director through the address below (not by email).
Chief Executive Director,
Tanzania Coffee Research Institute (TaCRI),
P.O. Box 3004,
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
The deadline for the applications is 09.11.2021