How do job seekers use social media?
associate officer, knowledge transfer at east-west seed kahama, east west seed jobs, east west seed jobs 2021, east west seed jobsdb, east west seed jobstreet, east west seeds salary, east-west seeds product list, east-west seeds online, east west seeds price list, east-west seeds wikipedia, east-west seed linkedin
East-West Seed is the market leader for tropical vegetable seeds in Asia and is rapidly expanding in Africa. The privately-owned company has played an important role in the development and improvement of high-quality vegetable varieties in tropical countries. East-West Seed develops vegetable varieties that are adapted to tropical markets and growing conditions and generate increased yield and productivity for farmers. In addition, the company educates farmers and helps them to maximize their yield and income through better knowledge of vegetable production.
Recognizing that farmers need access to quality seeds and knowledge on how to grow, East-West Seed has supported intensive farmer training programs since 2000. To ensure that pre-commercial activities are most effectively geared towards benefiting smallholder farmers, the company created a unit dedicated to facilitating knowledge transfer and improving on-farm skills and innovation. East-West Seed Knowledge Transfer works hand-in-hand as part of the company; showcasing profitable and sustainable farm practices in areas that would otherwise be of limited interest to many seed companies.
Job Title: Associate Officer, Knowledge Transfer
Career Level: Mid-Level
Reporting to: Manager, Knowledge Transfer
Job Locations: Kahama, Tanzania
Employment: Full Time
JOB SUMMARY: ASSOCIATE OFFICER, KNOWLEDGE TRANSFER
To provide technical knowledge to small-scale farmers; promoting and showcasing profitable and sustainable production practices. This position will support the pre-commercial activities of EWS. By increasing the productivity of vegetable production with smallholder farmers it is expected that this will lead to long-term opportunities for EWS to develop new markets in high-quality vegetable seeds.
Supporting key farmer demonstration plots:
- Identify villages in collaboration with project partners
- Select and coach key farmers in collaboration with project partners
- Provide regular technical advice to farmers on all aspects of vegetable production
- Share monthly follow up and training plans with KT Manager and project partners
- Place signboards around the demonstration plots to inform other farmers of the current activity.
- Take photos of the demonstration plot at different growing stage
- Share farm records with farmers and key partners
Conduct farmer training:
- Identify training needs per crop season of the different groups in villages
- Plan training of farmers
- Share training plan with KT Manager
- Conduct short village level training courses on vegetable production, as per project document
- Collect data for Project Lead
- Evaluate training and training materials in collaboration with project partners and KT Manager
- Ensure regular participation of farmers in the training
- Distribute extension materials
- Be proactive in organizing and supporting women farmers groups
Organize field days
- Plan field days during harvest on all successful demonstrations
- Share the plan with project partners and KT Manager
- Advertise and inform community and stakeholders
- Record information and observation from field days
- Distribute extension materials
Technical point of contact for vegetable production within the area of activities.
- Participate in other events organized by EWS (commercial field days etc)
- Be proactive in keeping up to date with new varieties, new techniques, new products on the market
- Be proactive in setting trials in demonstration farms, record accordingly results.
- Closely coordinate activities with input dealers and collectors and support them with technical information
- Support in organizing and conducting radio programs to farmers on selected topics
- Closely follow up on Arifu mobile SMS and offer needed support to farmers
Data collection in coordination with KT Manager
- Report accurate and timely farm records
- Record data for monitoring – training number of participants, field days participants
- Record observations, remarks that could be important in evaluating and managing activities
- Submit reports as required by Sr Administrator, Technical and KT Manager
Are we looking for you?
- Must have Bachelor Degree in Agriculture
- Ability to communicate with all levels; particularly smallholder farmers
- Must have technical competence in all aspects of crop management
- Experience in technical training (farmer extension)
- Ability to transfer improved farm management practices through key farmers
- Able to build trust in farming communities
- Good time management and organization skills
- Able to coordinate with input dealer, collector, and relevant partner
- Ability to solve problems(analytical thinking) and share relevant information
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in the Swahili language, and proficiency in English a plus
- Ability to ride motorcycle and possession of a valid driving license preferably class A
- Computer literacy is a plus
East-West Seed has competitive packages on offer for outperformers
Application Deadline: December 30th, 2021
Women are more encouraged