Our Vision: Accessible, relevant and sustainable quality university education
Our Mission: To regulate and assure quality university education by setting standards and monitoring compliance to achieve global competitiveness
Our Mandate: To promote the objectives of university education, by regulating and accrediting universities and programmes, among other functions
Corporate Values and Principles
- Accountability; and
Quality Policy Statement
The Commission is committed to ensuring increased access to sustainable quality university education and training through planning, coordination, resource mobilization, quality assurance enhancement and information service.
In pursuit of this commitment the Commission shall:
- Endeavour to understand customer requirements and their challenges;
- Meet and strive to exceed customer expectations;
- Ensure that the quality objectives are implemented, monitored and reviewed regularly;
- Align its quality management system with statutory, regulatory and ISO 9001:2008 requirements;
- Communicate the policy within the organization and ensure it is reviewed for continued suitability
The Commission for University Act No. 42 of 2012 stipulates the specific function of the Commission is as follows:
- Promote the objectives of university education;
- Advise the Cabinet Secretary on policy relating to university education;
- Promote, set standards and assure relevance in the quality of university education;
- Monitor and evaluate the state of university education systems in relation to the national development goals;
- License any student recruitment agencies operating in Kenya and any activities by foreign institutions;
- Develop policy for criteria and requirements for admission to universities;
- Recognize and equate degrees, diplomas and certificates conferred or awarded by foreign universities and institutions in accordance with the standards and guidelines set by the Commission from time to time;
- Undertake or cause to be undertaken, regular inspections, monitoring and evaluation of universities to ensure compliance with set standards and guidelines;
- Collect, disseminate and maintain data on university education;
- Accredit universities in Kenya;
- Regulate university education in Kenya;
- Accredit and inspect university programmes in Kenya;
- Promote quality research and innovation; and
- Perform such other functions and exercise such other powers as the Commission may deem necessary for the proper discharge of its mandate under the Act.
Authority of the Commission
The Commission shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal and capable, in its corporate name, of:
- suing and being sued;
- taking, purchasing, or otherwise acquiring, holding, charging and disposing of movable and immovable property, and
- doing or performing all such other things or acts necessary for the proper performance of its functions under this Act as may lawfully be done or performed by a body corporate.
The Commission offices are located at Gigiri, Nairobi Kenya. Correspondences and enquiries should be addressed to:
The Commission Secretary / Chief Executive Officer.
Red Hill Road,
Off Limuru Road, Gigiri.
P.O. Box 54999 – 00200, Nairobi, Kenya
Phone: +254 – 020 –7205000, 020-2021150, 020-2021154/56
+254–726-445566, +254–717-445566, +254–780-656575