Deutsche Stiftung Weltbevölkerung (DSW) is a global development organisation that focuses on the needs and potential of the largest youth generation in history. We are committed to creating demand for and access to health information, services, supplies, and economic empowerment for youth. DSW with funding from KfW, Bayer healthcare and CIFF in partnership with Directorate of Youth (MoICTIYA)and Triggerise is implementing voucher based youth empowerment program-Vijana Vuka na Afya( VIVA – ITH) aimed at improving access to reproductive health services and vocational training opportunities for youth 15-24 years in the Informal settlements of Nairobi, Mombasa and Kisumu counties.
DSW seeks to recruit a Project Officer.
Place of Work: Mombasa, Nairobi and Kisumu (3 positions).
Reporting to: Project Coordinator.
General areas of responsibility:
The Project Officer is responsible for the VIVA project implementation based in any of the three counties above
Overall Goal: The Project Officer supports the Programs and Projects department in successfully implementing Project goals. This position reports to the Project Coordinator.
The project officer is responsible for overall project implementation in the project area, activity coordination and engagement with Youth Empowerment Centres and other key partners in the project area to ensure the realisation of project objectives.
Working closely with key partners and in support of existing youth clubs and Youth Empowerment Centres, s/he will mobilize young people to use digital platforms and support the voucher distribution models that will energize the youth, help increase demand for services geared towards youth empowerment, and increase the adoption of healthier behaviors.
· Lead the implementation of all project activities and ensure VIVA-ITH activities are effectively implemented and in accordance with project standard documents, work plans and budgets.
· Ensure that procedures for financial requisition, accounting and reporting are effectively fulfilled by all implementing partners and other collaborators.
· Supervise, oversee and support the implementation of the DSW’s Youth empowerment approach, of working with Youth Empowerment Centres (YEC), youth clubs and/or partners and advise them as appropriate e.g. in terms of management, implementation and mobilisation.
· Build and strengthen strategic networks and linkages with key actors including decision makers, existing advocacy networks within the project areas and link these efforts with County level actions.
· Jointly with the Project Coordinator, participate in the preparation and execution of VIVA -ITH project plans & budgets.
· In close collaboration with Youth Officers from MoICTIYA support the identification of capacity training needs, development and execution of training modules and coordinate the Youth Empowerment activities.
· Participate in stakeholder meetings and undertake periodic project reviews and reflections.
· Undertake regular visits to project areas to backstop challenges and ensure project implementation is on course.
· Strengthen the use of sports as a medium to mobilise young people for behaviour change.
§ Maintain positive relations with government agencies, civil society, multilateral and bilateral partners in the areas of operation.
§ Create strategic linkages of Youth Empowerment Centres with local community, decision-makers, health facilities, micro-finance institutes, and other CSOs.
· Lead the preparation of quality and timely project reports in accordance with the project document.
· Ensure effective collaboration and coordination of key project partners, including YECs, service providers and Government officials at county levels for attainment of project results.
· Support the resource mobilisation efforts to ensure continued resourcing of DSW Programmes.
· Lead the documentation of lessons and actions to profile project outcomes.
· Any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Requirements and Experience
· Bachelors’ Degree in Social Sciences or related field.
· Relevant training in Project Management, participatory methodologies and related fields an added advantage.
· Good understanding of youth and women empowerment and Reproductive health issues.
· Good networking and capacity building skills, good oral and written communication skills.
· Must have prior working experience of not less than 3 years in an NGO setting.
· Ability to work with and understand the youth while maintaining professionalism is key.
· Ability to work independently and within a team.
· Proficiency in Micro Soft Office.
· High level of personal integrity.