Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the MEL Director will provide leadership and coordination in designing, Monitoring, and Evaluation of World Vision Tanzania project to ensure realization of Our Promise 2030. MEL Director also will be responsible to ensure the project is aligned with WV DM&E Management policy (LEAP/IPM) guidelines & standards, and donor requirements to achieve the intended program results and impact in a cost- effective manner, while maintaining a high level of excellence and accountability. This includes leading the collaborative learning and adaptation activities. The MEL Director will also oversee other MEL support staff. The position is contingent upon contract award to World Vision Tanzania.
- Provide proactive and clear functional leadership of the DME direct reports and those in specific projects and programs.
- Build DME capacity of World Vision Tanzania office.
- Develop full, effective cross-functional working relationships for DM&E and other functions/sectors.
- Participate effectively with DM&E networks, practitioners and learning/research institutions to access, research, evaluate and promote the best available external practices and resources in DM&E.
- Ensure programs are monitored, reported and evaluated in a timely manner as per LEAP requirements.
- Provide technical leadership in the development and implementation of overall monitoring and evaluation framework for activity implementation in selected intervention areas.
DME team functions well responding to the various and complex demands coming from all parts of the organization
- Coordinate all assessments and designs of new programs and projects work.
- Liaise with Operations Director to determine closure of APs and replacement where possible.
- Update vulnerability mapping which will guide location of future programs and targeting.
- Develop a surveillance agenda for the activity and ensure methodological rigor of surveillance undertaken.
- Regularly review and update the activity’s MEL plan.
- Work closely with government counterparts and local CSOs to strengthen capacity in data collection, reporting and use of data for decision making.
Design of all new APs and projects are informed by assessments and data from ongoing operations and formative assessments are conducted and data utilized
- Review, develop, disseminate project and program monitoring tools to all key stakeholders in National Office
- Ensure all projects and programs have monitoring framework and completed ITTs.
- Coordinate the implementation of the Outcome monitoring.
- Develop and disseminate key messages coming from the monitoring data.
- Support activity monitoring, evaluation, learning, and reporting, including the management of appropriate systems to track progress against targets, document lessons learned, and produce timely, accurate, and complete reports in compliance with donor requirements.
- Develop monitoring, evaluation, and reporting systems that include appropriate indicators, baseline data, targets, and a plan to evaluate performance.
Monitoring events are conducted efficiently and results are effectively disseminated
- Ensure all programs are evaluated according to schedule
- Ensure every evaluation is discussed at SLT level
- Develop, capture, and produce evaluation synthesis of all evaluations conducted in a year and share with SLT.
- Establish close coordination with senior management of the activity to harmonize and streamline collection and use of data for program activities, surveillance, and learning
- Liaise with Donor, government partners, policy makers, and other key stakeholders to coordinate dissemination and application of results.
- Support the development and implementation of an activity wide learning agenda in line with Donor Collaborating, Learning and Adapting framework and approaches.
Evaluations are conducted efficiently with external partners. Results are synthesized and presented to relevant stakeholders including SLT.
Support strategy tracking processes
- Track the strategy using the national level M&E system that provides information on progress being made on each of the indicators as per Strategy including Our Promise 2030.
- Information arising from monitoring, used in the performance section in the WVT Strategy
- Engagement of specialists in the national office, EAR and support office and ensure all indicators in the strategy are benchmarked
- Ensure presence of tools for tracking AP progress including development of database
Status and impact of the NO strategy is clear and disseminated to relevant audiences and stakeholders
Coordinate Tanzania SST
- Work with RD&PQ Director and Operations director to ensure key meetings (virtual and F2F) with support offices are held and key actions that require SLT actions are escalated.
- Ensure SST add value to WV Tanzania programming through continuous engagement in key processes e.g. reporting, monitoring, evaluation and reflection
- Ensure there is continuous dialogue with SOs SST engagement through discussions with SOs via mail on key strategic priorities e.g., alignment of programs to the strategy through the already agreed technical programs, clarification and explanation of national TPs and implications to programming and seeking for their agreement before the next step.
- Ensure discussion on approval of key processes and products is done e.g. annual plans and other M&E products.
- Oversee the development and submission of timely, accurate, and complete reporting and the use of innovative technology for documentation.
SST is engaged and issues are effectively presented for SST decisions
Guide leadership in assessing program performance
- Raise awareness and understanding among SLT/TMT and Cluster reflection forums on the role of GNOD and Program Quality Self Reflections in assessing national level capability in delivering program quality
- Track and validate the achievement of Program Quality Standards in WV Tanzania, to ensure good accountability and appropriate support where needed
Based on PCPR ratings identify needs and opportunities to strengthen National Office capacity and guide leadership on addressing performance concerns.
- Collect information on the GNOD performance assessment for WVU.
- Coordinate GNOD peer review with SOs and EARO on each of the indicators and provide information and justification among the reviewers on each of the scores
- Conduct and analyse performance on key processes in sponsorship, finance, program quality and other OE indicators and advise SLT on key actions required to turn around performance
- Results of program performance are synthesized, shared and effectively used to influence the development of new programs.
Support roll out of program effectiveness GC initiatives
- Ensure increased understanding of LEAP 3 across all programs including national based grants
- Provided clarity and awareness to staff in the APs, clusters, national offices and support offices on LEAP 3 uptake and its implication on the current strategy.
- Generate learning emerging from LEAP 3 adoption for engagement at different fora in the national office, regional office, support office and global centre
- Analyse data coming from different programs on strategy indicators for writing CWB report and work with specialists and managers in the development of CWB report.
Roll out of global strategies is actively followed by TZ NO
Promote Organizational Evidence Documentation And Organizational Learning
- Assure and support NO capacity to report on their contribution to Child Well Being with adequate rigor and standards of quality, and to ensure appropriate management response to recommendations for further enhancing that contribution
- Provide leadership, catalyse and disseminate learning on best practices for program quality, participating in conducting research, sharing and replicating promising practices aimed at ministry improvement
- Document the major key lessons and findings from project evaluations and operations audit and disseminate for organizational learning and decision making.
- Gather relevant information regarding best practices to program design, monitoring and evaluation from within and outside the WVI partnership and shares it with field staff to facilitate organizational learning and experience sharing.
Results of programs are synthesized and disseminated to influence the development of programs and all new business
Work with the GAM Director and Manager in ensuring the following:
- Provide Technical inputs in Grant Acquisition or Resource Development processes
- Facilitate Evidence generation and documentation for GRANT/PNS proposal development
- Coordinate Development of Results based Framework, Log frames, ITT and DIP to meet LEAP 3 requirements during project/grants proposal development
New business is supported with high quality M&E components including log frames. Indictors for new business are aligned to WVI and NO indicators.
Required Professional Experience
KNOWLEDGE/QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE ROLE
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Design, Monitoring and Evaluation of a relief and development work.
- Experience in the development of Design Monitoring and Evaluation (DME) related technical resources
- Understand Programme and Research Design and Implementation
Required Education, Training, License, Registration, And Certification
Advanced degree (e.g. Master’s degree in social science, development studies or other professional degree) or other relevant degree or experience.
Preferred Knowledge And Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing MEL systems in complex donor-funded development projects. Experience implementing MEL activities on health system strengthening projects and/or projects that integrate health care for vulnerable populations desirable
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, and other MS Office software; data analysis software, e.g. SPSS or Stata
- Experience conducting monitoring, evaluation and research tasks related to Feed the Future activities and technical areas.
- Experience in conducting qualitative and quantitative research, with demonstrated experience managing data collection teams.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills with demonstrated attention to detail.
- Strong oral and written English skills for writing MEL reports and deliverables for DONOR and project stakeholders.
- Strong management skills to manage MEL support staff and activities.
Language Requirements: English and Swahili
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
Frequency Of Contact
On proposal Development Tasks
On DME functions under Operations
Quarterly when need arises
Grants Operations Manager
On Grants issue
On programming Issues
Quarterly and when need arises
Technical Leaders – Education, R&L, H&N, WASH and CP
On Technical Programming issues related to Designing, Monitoring and Evaluation of programmes
Quarterly and when need arises
☐ Be Safe and Resilient
☐ Deliver Results
☐ Build Relationships
☐ Be Accountable
☐ Learn and Develop
☐ Improve and Innovate
☐ Partner and Collaborate
☐ Embrace Change
☐ Model Self-Management
☐ Engage, Influence, Lead
and Grow Others
☐ Run an Effective
and Agile Organization
☐ Develop the Organization
for the Future
Applicant Types Accepted
Local Applicants Only