Background: The Tanzania Coffee Research Institute (TaCRI), incorporated in 2000 as a company limited by guarantee under the Companies Ordinance (Cap. 212), became legally constituted and operational in September 2001 with the major objective of rejuvenating the Tanzania coffee industry to sustainable prosperity, placing new emphasis on stakeholder-led, demand-driven RESEARCH FOR DEVELOPMENT.
TaCRI is now seeking to employ dynamic, committed, responsible and self-motivated person to fill the following vacant posts for an initial period of three years renewable based on productivity/performance and continued need.
Biotechnologist (1 post)
Location: TaCRI, Lyamungu
Reports to: Programme Manager Coffee Research Improvements Programme
Roles and responsibilities:
- Organize and help maintain the structure of the laboratory, manage consumable inventory, and take care of stocking supplies, pipette calibrations.
- Maintain organization of the tissue culture suites, provide support on cell line inventories.
- Developing and improving culture protocols, as directed by Programme Manager.
- Creation of production schedules, training and orienting new staff, strict laboratory record-keeping and reporting of laboratory results to the Programme Manager.
- Work as Tissue Culture Manager to improve plant survival rate within the greenhouse environment.
- Develop standard workflow for Tissue Culture Production.
- It is also the responsibility of the biotechnologist to adhere to all safety policies and procedures to ensure a safe and secure working environment in all aspects of the Institute’s production.
- Ongoing improvement on processes and ideas for efficiencies are strongly encouraged.
- Understanding and meeting the needs of internal and external customers; strong demand-led, market-oriented, and participatory process of technology development and dissemination.
- Adapts readily to change and establishes organizational processes that foster responsiveness, readiness to change and work under diverse conditions.
- Show commitment to teamwork and finds the best solutions by working positively and cooperatively with others, good leadership, high standards of performance, a sense of urgency, and mutual respect and integrity.
The ideal candidate will need to have strong understanding of Biotechnology and laboratory work skills in general applicable to coffee. Also the candidate must be computer literate with outstanding communication skills.
Academic qualification; At least BSc in Biotechnology with proven records of achievement.
Work Experience: At least a minimum of 2 years of work experience with relevance in Biotechnology and/or agricultural/laboratory practical experience. Experience with gains with the private sector and hands-on participatory approach and especially working with laboratories will be an added advantage.
Remuneration: TaCRI is an equal opportunity employer and offers attractive and competitive remuneration.
Mode of application:
- An application letter in your handwriting or typed
- Fully typed Curriculum vitae
- Certified copies of relevant certificates
- Full postal address including telephone contact details and e-mail address if any
- Three contactable references
Deadline of application:
All applications must reach the Chief Executive Director through the address below (not by email).
Chief Executive Director,
Tanzania Coffee Research Institute (TaCRI),
P.O. Box 3004,
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
The deadline for the applications is 09.11.2021